Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A God-Honoring Pregnancy

When I first became pregnant, one of my greatest concerns was the effect my attitude would have on Red Beard and whoever else I might come into contact with. I've been around so many unpleasant pregnant women, and I was (and am still) determined not to become one of them.

In a certain sense, pregnancy is no different than any other situation in which your body is under stress. Why would I say that? Think about it...

  • If I'm having a terrible day, I'm not supposed to sin.  
  • If I'm not feeling good because I have the flu, I'm not supposed to sin.
  • If I'm pregnant, I'm not supposed to sin.

Worry, fear, pouting, pity parties, bad attitudes, temper tantrums, demands, selfishness, and the like are all sinful. They are not acceptable behaviors. Period.

Pregnancy is not a "sin without consequences" pass.
Saltines= this pregnant girl's best friend for warding off nausea. :)
When our hormones run high and our bodies are constantly changing (and making us sick), it's easy to let things like our attitudes and desires run their natural courses--without any sort of intervention on our part.

But we are called to a higher standard.

Ephesian 4:26 says, "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sin go down upon your wrath." It doesn't say we can't have emotions or feel a certain way; however, the way we feel is not supposed to cause us to sin.

We should always keep ourselves in check.

That is something my parents always encouraged in my brothers and me when I was growing up: self-reflection. We need to take time (daily, sometimes moment-to-moment in delicate situations) to evaluate ourselves objectively--not just as we want to see ourselves. The way to do that is through prayer and through meditation of God's Word.

  1. Prayer: We need to ask God to point out our faults, especially our blind spots. Allow Him to bring to your heart and mind the ways in which you haven't measured up to His standard (="Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which in heaven is perfect." Mt. 5:48). If you've been born into God's family, if the Spirit lives inside your heart, you need to heed His voice--not your own.
  2. Meditation of God's Word: Another way to find your blind spots is through daily reading and applying God's Word to your life. When you read a Bible verse, try not to just skim through it without personal reflection or don't think "this verse is about something irrelevant to me." If you fail to see what a certain passage is saying, ask God to reveal it to you. We can always glean insight through a daily intake of God's Word.
Pregnant or not, we need to be careful to deal with sins (see 1 Jn. 1:9) as we commit them. We need to not let "any root of bitterness spring up . . . and thereby many be defiled" (Heb. 12:15). 

I know--boy, do I know--how difficult it is to let emotions run our actions. But consider Hebrews 4:15:
"For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."

Christ knows our pain. He was taunted and mocked when He was dying for the sin of the entire world on the cross. Yet, He did not sin.

He is our example. And He is our help, as it says in the very next verse (v. 16):
"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

Summary: If you don't now whether you've messed up, ask God (pray). If you've messed up, ask forgiveness (pray). If you want to not mess up anymore, ask (pray). 

I'm so grateful God doesn't demand perfection without giving us a way to access His power and strength. 

I pray that I would remember that I have access to it (and that you would remember you do, too).

--Mrs. D.