Sunday, July 6, 2014

First Time Camping?

This past week was our first time camping together as husband and wife. We've gone whitewater rafting, hiking, kayaking, etc. together--but not camping.

Other plans of ours had fallen through at the last minute, and since Red Beard had already taken the vacation days, we thought, "Let's go camping!"

Here are some highlights from our trip:

We borrowed a tent the Taj Mahal of 1980's tents from some friends...
Sans instructions, it took us an hour-and-a-half to put it up. Thankfully Red Beard had packed some paracord that he employed to tie up each "U"--or we would've been eating those metal "U's" in the middle of the night!

We had to start our fires with wet wood thanks to the rain, but our foil pack meals tasted excellent.
"Calling all bears! We've got perch here!"

When we were planning this spur-of-the-moment trip, I ignored one of the cardinal rules of trip organization: making a list. This led to my really cool improv footwear for hiking a steep trail: tall hiking socks and pink crocs, baby! I wonder why I got so many second looks from passers-by?

We also saw plenty of deer, met people from all over (the U.S. and abroad), and ate perfectly toasted marshmallows. Pretty cool!

Put it all together, and what have you got? A fun, relaxing time spent together in the quietness of God's creation. It was great. I even fell asleep while we were sitting under the trees, because it's so peaceful in the middle of nowhere.
The peacefulness of the woods reminds me of the peacefulness we can have in our lives if we're living where God wants us to. Such a pleasant place to be! And as much as I may fight being in that place (because I grow discontented or weary with the set-up), there is truly nowhere I would rather be than where God wants me to be.

Go get yourself a spot in the woods, y'all!
--Mrs. D.